Author Topic: Updates from Coming off The Pill  (Read 2392 times)

Texas8711

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Updates from Coming off The Pill
« on: December 28, 2014, 07:45:47 PM »
How are you feeling now that you've stopped the pill?

Han1984

• View Profile
Re: Updates from Coming off The Pill
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 01:38:21 PM »
Hello! And thank you for creating this forum.
I was on the pill for 13 years - 3 years microgynon, 10 years on Yasmin. Decided to come of April 2014 - had all of the awful side effects - depression, anger, RAGE, IBS, anxiety...

Since coming off in April I have been battling with Ance and irregular periods. I had a scan in Sept 2014 and do not have PCOS. Blood tests all 'normal'.

9 months off the pill and I'm still suffering with acne and just generally feeling down. I have a healthy diet (clean, no sugar dairy or gluten). I take supplements as recommended by a naturopath but I'm still really struggling.

Periods are scatty, quite light and brown spotting a few days before.

Can anyone shed some light on what is happening to me? I feel so out of whack. Would like to try for a baby later this year but just don't feel like I'm reproductively healthy enough.

I'm 30. Never been pregnant.

Thank you x

Texas8711

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 09:01:07 PM »

Whitney1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 10:52:26 PM »
How are you feeling now that you've stopped the pill?

I also came off of the pill in April 2014. I was on ocella for about 9 years. The first 3-5 months was the hardest, but I am still dealing with physical symptoms. Acne, stomach pains, tingling sensations on the left side of my face, and all sorts of other things! My periods are finally regular and I am not so emotional. I do still feel down, depressed, and lethargic from time to time.

The survivors forum really helped me through the hardest times after coming off of the pill. It always makes me feel better to see others have been and are still going through the same issues. I am so grateful for this site!! Hang in there everyone, Ive heard it can be 1-2 years before you feel 100% percent, Id say I'm 75% there!

Texas8711

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 10:13:27 PM »
Hi Whitney,

Welcome to the forum.. I'm sorry about your side-effects, but glad to hear that you are off of the pill!  It's great that you feel like you are making progress... 75% is wonderful!  Have the stomach pains improved at all?  Mine were really severe while on the pill and for a few months after I came off.  I wish I had some better advice on how to manage the symptoms, but just know that they do get better over time.
I have been off for almost 5 years now.  I was a pretty extreme case, with close to 70 symptoms when I came off..  those symptoms are now down to about 5.  The main issue is still fatigue, which was greatly improved, but I had a setback after my pregnancy  (since I wasn't 100% to begin with, coupled with raising a baby)!  Just know that even the most extreme cases get better.. it sounds like you are really on the right track for not even being a year off!  I know it can be a frustrating and sometimes long road, but try to focus on the progress that you are making.  :)  Look forward to hearing from you with your recovery   

melisachr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 04:47:36 AM »
I was on Yasmin for 10 years (Excluding my 2 pregnancy's), THe only side effect I noticed while I was Yasmin was that it severley affected my Libido. I originally went on Yasmin because I had problems with heavy bleeding. I had a sterilization done with my last baby(2012), and planned not to go back on the pill.  A few months after the birth of my baby I gained a lot of weight, I had extremely heavy bleeding during my period, my hair was falling out in bunches, I was depressed all the time. I went to see my doctor, and he suggested that I go back on the pill. I went back on the pill for 1 year and 2014 started doing research about going off the pill and decided to completely quit the pill in September 2014.  It have been off the pill for 6 months and it has been a terrible ordeal, but I am hoping that it is going to worth it in the long run.  I have had the following symptoms after stopping the pill.
Rapid weight gain
Bad skin
Acne
Constant tiredness
Constipation

I must say that I am already starting to see some positive changes recently which are the following:
Increase in sex drive
Clearer thoughts
Happier mood (Seems as the pill as been surpressing my ability to feel happy)

I am holding onto the hope that these negative side effects will clear soon and I will have a happy normal life.

Is there anyone out there that has experience rapid weight gain, please tell me how long it took you to start loosing the weight, I have tried to eat healthy, exercise, but the weight just keeps pilling up around my stomach and thighs.

Texas8711

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 08:24:09 PM »
Hi Melisa,

Thanks for joining and glad you are off Yasmin now!  So glad you are starting to feel better.  The pill can really lower libido and affect mood.
I think it is sadly, very normal to have weight gain after coming off Yasmin/Yaz.  From my experience and in talking to other women, the weight gain comes on quickly, despite eating healthy and exercising.  From everything I have researched, it seems that the pill affects the lipids in the body and carbohydrate metabolism in particular.  Yasmin is a diuretic, so after you come off, the body can swing the other way, retaining too much water.  I think this combination might be what causes such strange weight gain.  The only thing that has worked for me is a lower carb diet.  I keep the net carbs under 100g/day (subtracting any fiber).  It was an initial lifestyle change at first, but now I find it fairly easy to follow.
You can find a lot of information on this subject and I am happy to send you some links if you are interested. 
Thanks for joining and keep us posted on how it's going :)

rachaelmc7

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 09:03:41 AM »
Melisachr,
Hello. I too have gained weight rapidly. Stopped ocella(generic yaz) in September of 2013. Gained 30 pounds within 6 months. And since have gained another 10. Im 40 pounds over my usual weight and it looks bad and is very upsetting. Doesn't matter how much or how little I eat, the weight seems to remain steady.
This has really tempted me to go back on the pill because I am graduating college and want to feel healthy looking and confident again, but I know it's just delaying inevitably dealing with it again. There's plenty of women who go through the same thing, but none of them seem to repost on the forums to update us on their progress (on other forum websites where they talk about weight gain after the pill). I'm hoping them not returning means their weight was lost and they forgot all about it. I can't deal with carrying around this extra weight forever.
I hope you feel better soon.
Sincerely,
Rachael

Texas8711

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 11:49:40 AM »
Hi Rachael,

Welcome to the forum!  I just wanted to say that sadly, rapid weight gain after coming off Yasmin/Yaz seems to be very common.  However, I personally have been able to lose the weight (following a lower carb diet, about 100g/day).  I know two other women who were also able to lose the weight.  I would really recommend trying to go lower carb.  It seems to be really helpful because the pill disrupts the body's ability to process carbohydrates.  I can send you some information on it if you would like.

I also want to strongly encourage you to please research more before you go back on the pill.  The second time I went back on the pill caused the most serious problems for me.  If you haven't had any major health ramifications, please don't take that for granted.  Although the other forum is not here anymore, thousands of women posted about life-changing health problems caused by the pill... gallbladder removal, thyroid problems, depression, stroke, major fatigue, muscle pain... just to name a few.  I know the weight gain is serious, but you CAN lose it on your own, given a lower carb diet and time.  Going back on the pill will just cause the same problems once you come off again, if not other things.  I wish I had gone off for good when I was younger and given my body time to readjust and become truly healthy. 

Thank you for joining and I look forward to hearing about how the weight loss goes.  Please keep us posted :)

rachaelmc7

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 11:30:38 PM »
Hello. Thanks for the reply. Are you saying you know a lot of women who haven't lost the weight? Or just personally only know a few who have reported losing it? I've found other forums of lots of women who gained weight after going off other birth controls too. But none report back whether they are still carrying the weight or lost it. I'm thinking they eventually lost it or else they could probably come back trying to find other help. I'm hoping one day the rest of my symptoms will fade and my body will go back to normal. I also have keratosis pilaris, acanthosis nigricans, weird growths, etc. My only non superficial side effect that still remains is I have pretty significant atherosclerosis in my neck arteries. Thankfully that was caught on a mri, but that was after I already figured out on my own that my birth control was making me feel horrible all the time.
I'm thankful I didn't have anything really serious and got off the pill in time. My heart goes out to everybody who has been seriously hurt by yaz or other pills. I just wish doctors would warn us about the possible, and seem to be very likely, side effects of the pill. Instead they tell us there's nothing wrong and make us feel crazy, and insist that there's no way the pill could cause any of our issues.

Texas8711

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 07:42:08 PM »
Hi Rachel,

Sorry for the delayed reply.  Yes, I know a lot of women who have lost the weight (myself included) by following a lower-carb diet.  The pill specifically effects carbohydrate metabolism, so that is one of the reasons for weight gain. 
I agree that many symptoms are often dismissed.  We definitely aren't crazy.. the pill is just making us feel that way sometimes!

Moonstones

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 04:06:21 PM »
Hi Texas 8711, can you describe your diet and how long it took for your weight to normalize please?